Thursday, September 16, 2010

the south side

sunday's mileage: 20 (another distance record for me)
on the iPod: "lullaby" -- shawn mullins

There are moments in life when everything seems to fall in place, as if the experience is part of a natural order. These moments are different for all of us, yet the feeling and emotions attached are strikingly similar. On Sunday morning, everything clicked. It was one of the best runs i've ever experienced.

Starting right around 6:00 a.m., I headed out with Mrs. Murie and Mrs. Pugh from the disc golf course. As has been the case, we started the run in relative darkness, the early morning sky illuminated only by the stars. I had no real feeling for this run from the outset. In fact, the first mile was a bit of a challenge in terms of getting into a rhythm. But getting lost in my iTunes helped. The sun rose on a simple and enjoyable first three miles.

Somewhere around mile six, I found myself in a really good place. My legs felt great, my energy level was even better, and I made a conscious decision to push the pace a bit. Typically I run about 10 to 15 yards behind Mrs. Murie and Mrs. Pugh, but I found myself surging forward and running in the lead. It had nothing to do with competitiveness. I don't have the urge to win. But rather I could feel that I wasn't running with maximum potential in that moment, so I stepped it up. It was the first inkling for me of how well this morning was going to be. And the morning didn't disappoint.

To obtain the 20 miles we needed, our trail took us into the south side of town. I don't often find myself down there, but always enjoy a change of scenery from my life in the western burbs. South Fayetteville has character and charm, which is a nice way of saying that it's the less-developed, or economically challenged, portion or our town. In college I worked for a couple of semesters at a liquor store down there. We always knew when the local manufacturing plants changed shifts, because the beat-up trucks lined up in the drive-thru for their cases of cheap beer and pints of low-end whiskey. My cousin, who consequently is training for his fifth marathon, worked at a burger joint down the street. That burger joint is now Mama Dean's Soul Food Kitchen. I've not experienced a meal there but have heard really good things. I love a big plate of greasy food, so I can only imagine i'd like it. Mama Dean's is the kind of place that gives South Fayetteville it's charm. Here's hoping it stays that way.

Chuckwagon Liquor was our turnaround, so we headed back toward the entertainment district and, ultimately, the end of our 20 miles. This is when the crackhead flipped us off. And he was in a Camaro. And he was driving really fast. And i'm fairly certain I saw him flick a cigarette butt out the window. Does it get any better than that? I guess you gotta love the South side.

We stopped briefly in the Mill District to get water. At this point I felt good and was excited about the remaining 8 miles. We got a few quick miles out of the way and made a final stop with about 5 miles left at the White Oak Station convenience store. I've blogged frequently about our stops here. It's become our running home away from home. They pretty much love us there.

The final five miles is where things really started to gel. I don't know if it was the Snickers bar I ate or switching my iPod from shuffle mode to all Dave Matthews Band mode, but something changed. And I loved it. I ran hard.

Because of schedules and stuff and life, this might have been the last long run the three of us are able to put together as a group before the marathon. We have three weekends left and tons of stuff going on, so my plan is to get in two more long runs. Probably 12 and 18 miles, respectively. Chicago is going to be amazing. I find myself thinking about it constantly, wondering what the experience will feel like. I'm bound to get emotional toward the end. And when I do, that will be okay. It makes me feel alive.




1 comment:

  1. Run Puckett Run!!!! I really liked this post.

    -Uncle Lew Lew

    ReplyDelete