Sunday, October 3, 2010

sunsets and sunrises

monday's mileage: 5.8
on the iPod: "set adrift on memory bliss" -- p.m. dawn

thursday's mileage: 3.0
on the iPod: "hello, goodbye" -- the beatles

sunday's mileage: 8.0
on the iPod: "just blue" -- the weepies

The sun has set on the training season and I find myself so incredibly content and pleased. The goal for this upcoming week is rest. It will be difficult to not get in runs, as i've been focused on nothing else since July. I can think back on some really great experiences: running on the beach in Florida, my first 18-miler, dodging traffic in downtown Chicago, sweating like hell when it was already 80 degrees at 5:45 a.m., countless runs starting in the dark and calm of morning. But what I'll remember most about this training season is feeling the greatest depths of humanity alive in myself. It's time for my work to pay off. I'm ready.

Mrs. Pugh and I both finish teaching around 1:00 p.m. on Mondays, so we brought running gear to work and ran after school. Students gave us bizarre stares when we darted out the back door decked out in shorts and wicking shirts, iPod earbuds affixed to our heads. The corporate traffic hadn't kicked in yet, so we had the streets of Bentonville to ourselves. Heading toward the downtown square, our pace was brisk as we ran past old stately homes, some of which had been noticeably flipped and some of which needed to be flipped. I'd love to own one of those homes.

We got on the trail system that goes behind Crystal Bridges, the new museum of American art that is currently under construction. Inspired by two natural springs on the property, world-famous architect Moshe Safdie has created an instant masterpiece. The design spans over the springs and is breathtaking in scope. The surrounding acreage is wooded with over 100 different foliages native to the area. The permanent collection to continues grow, with pieces by Charles Willson Peale, John Singer Sargent, Wayne Thiebaud, Andy Warhol, and Roy Lichtenstein. This place is really going to be a gem in Northwest Arkansas and I can't wait to take my students there when it's finished. It's gorgeous.

Emerging from the trail a bit winded, Mrs. Pugh and I pressed on as the afternoon air warmed a bit. In the distance we could see the Bentonville High School track and field squad approaching. Both of us immediately knew we were about to get schooled on pace and distance. We braced for our shame and embarrassment as our own students blew past us with little effort. For about 3 seconds I considered trying to match their pace, but I thought better of it as they smiled and waved, knowing to be gracious to two old, worn-down teachers. I'm proud of those students. We've got the best.

On Thursday my good friend Wes Will texted and asked if I was up for a late-afternoon run. Does the Pope wear a funny hat? Answer is yes! I've been wanting to run with my friend for quite some time right now, so when he texted I immediately discarded my plans of doing nothing and laced up. We did a quick out-and-back that I affectionately call The Turtle Trail. Back in June I passed a turtle on this same route, reminding me the story of the Tortoise and The Hare. Somewhere in the second mile I got the urge to pick up the pace, so I did a few tenths of sprinting. Speed work is not my favorite training routine, but I know that it helps with overall performance. When I get the urge to do it, I gotta take advantage of the moment. Wes Will and I had a great first run and I hope it leads to more. He totally makes me laugh. And he's pretty much the nicest guy i've ever met.

This morning Mrs. Murie and Mrs. Pugh and I started early for our final distance run before the marathon. Eight miles. It wasn't lost on any of us that this was our last dress rehearsal. I think we all felt emotions, but didn't want to admit it. I know for certain that I did. We all commented on the temperature, only this time we weren't complaining on the heat and the humidity, but rather the cold temperature! Mrs. Pugh claimed to have seen multiple bank signs that registered 39 degrees, but Mrs. Murie and I both agreed it was more like 45 degrees. Mrs. Pugh sometimes gets carried away with the details. That's why we love her. Whatever the official temp was, it was crazy cold.

It was only fitting that in this final run we stopped at our home-away-from-home, the White Oak Station convenience store. I've blogged ad nauseum about how much we've grown to love this place. Each time we stop I discover something new and exciting with which to comment about. They've given us free water and Coke, we've used their bathroom, they've encouraged us and made us laugh.

The eight miles went fast and my mind was filled with details about our trip. I found myself thinking about the most minute instances: the flight, our hotel, the L (which i've grown to love in my trips to Chicago over the years), dinner reservations, the Arkansas vs. Texas A+M game, the expo, and the actual marathon, of course. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the highlight of the trip. Just sayin'. The three of us had breakfast together at Common Grounds on Dickson Street and talked about our trip. I had a Bloody Mary as well. Excitement was noticeable in our voices as we planned and plotted our convergence on the streets of Chicago. The city is never going to be the same.

It will soon be time for the sun to rise on our journey. I know that i've done everything within my power to prepare myself for that moment, but at the same time I can't help but feel like it's completely out of my hands. If fact, I know it is. And i'm comfortable with that. There's something bigger than me that will guide my feet along those 26.2 miles. My job is to let go and allow it to happen. I'm almost certain that i'll finish a stronger man than when I start, but regardless of the outcome I do know this: the sun will set and rise again. And i'll continue to lace up for this amazingly blessed life i've been allowed to lead.




2 comments:

  1. I second Kay's comment, Puck. Yes, let go. Allow it to happen.

    And as Highly Experienced traveler to Chicago (I've been there a total of 1 time), I also say be sure to enjoy a tasty Goose Island brewed beverage at some point during your stay (as long as that time is not Sunday at 6:00 a.m.); I heartily recommend the Green Line Pale Ale, available only on draft, but available widely.

    Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete