Monday, December 13, 2010

i got passed by a pack of penguins. true story.

yesterday's mileage: 13.1 (that's a half marathon)
on the iPod: "bartender" -- the dave matthews band

Okay, so I made up the part about the penguins, but they would have felt right at home in the weather with which I suffered. The inaugural running of the Fayetteville Half Marathon, complete with a sub-freezing temperature of 18 degrees and a wind chill factor in the single digits, was a complete success. A frozen success.

Mrs. Pugh and I had been watching the weather starting a week out and had concerns. Some other teachers at Bentonville High School were registered as well. After much deliberation and back-and-forth regarding our options, I was sold on Wednesday to run it no matter what. That was until Saturday night when I had to take the trash out. Oh my God the wind hit me like an Arctic belch and I began to reconsider. Ultimately, the will to lace up won out and I proceeded as planned.

A great friend came over and helped me decide on what layers to wear. We also decorated my Christmas tree and drank a bottle of wine. The tree looks amazing. It's a Frasier Fir that I got at Sam's Club for $11.00. Cynthia Puckett found it. Once again she comes through as the best mom in the whole damn world.

So we laid out all the options on my kitchen table and I decided on running tights, shorts, a long-sleeved wicking shirt, light windbreaker bearing an "Arkansas Football" logo, and a North Face ski jacket. Plus Marmot ski gloves and a wool hat. When I got it all on, I looked like Ralphie from A Christmas Story. I couldn't exactly put my arms down, but I was warm.

I met Mrs. Pugh at the race and we waited as long as we could in her big-ass SUV before venturing out to the starting line. There were a surprising number of runners there for the temps. The wind was blowing full-on and I'm pretty sure everybody just wanted to start running. Our great best good totally awesome running friend Mrs. Murie got out of bed and came to cheer us on. What a trooper! It was good to have the crew together. The three of us huddled and laughed at the ridiculousness of running on such a morning. The gun went off and we started hauling. The main goal was to get the blood pumping and our body temps working.

I figured out within the first mile that the temperature wasn't going to be the main problem, but rather the wind. It was AWFUL. And it didn't stop. At all. So we hunkered down and got through the first three or four miles while trying not to be picked up and swept away. Around mile five the route took us on the familiar territory of the Skull Creek trail. This was great because the trees and buildings gave us a break from the winds for a bit. We also had some local support, as Mrs. Murie had relocated to cheer us again. Don and Cynthia Puckett were also on the trail yelling and being supportive. I took off the ski jacket and gave it to Cynthia, running now with one less layer. This move would prove to be a blessing and a curse. My own body temperature had warmed me up substantially and it felt great to let my body breathe, but I also exposed my chest to the wind. The biting, nasty, wind from hell. The consequences were dire. And I have the bloody nipples to prove it.

Until this race, I had only heard stories about nipple problems. Many sage runners had imparted the wisdom of protecting said body part on long runs. I heeded the advice during marathon training and had no issues. It never dawned on me that I'd need them on a windy day. Suffice it to say that I've learned my lesson and am still, as of this scribing, paying dearly for my shortcoming.

Like the gazelles we are, Mrs. Pugh and I pressed on through the second half of the course, growing ever so tired of the wind with each step. But at the same time, I was loving the race. Yes, it was beyond freezing. Yes, there was frozen gatorade puddles at the aid stations. Yes, my face was chapped. Hell yes, my nipples hurt. But I really was enjoying this race!

I think it has to do with where I am right now in life. At this moment in time I can't think of anything I'd rather do than run. Anywhere. Anytime. Hobbies and interests wax and wane, right now mine is running. I finished around 2:19, pretty much the same time in my previous halfs. I'm completely cool with that time considering the hills and cold. And the wind. Did I mention the wind???

While I've pretty much shyed away from specific shout-outs in these posts, I've got to spread some love around: Firstly, to some friends who ran their first halfs. Kelly Kinsella and Laura Wilkins. Both of them are total champions for braving this weather. I hope their next halfs are sunny and in the 50's. Secondly, to a great running friend Deanna DuPlanti who never fails to make me smile when we're pounding the pavement. She kinda has a thing for my calves. It makes me blush. Thirdly, to Mrs. Murie and my parents for cheering me on along the course. Cynthia even met me at the finish line. It made me so happy to see her there and hug her neck.

And lastly, to a great friend and a great person, who sometimes has a rough go of it post-race and questions her sanity. Sometimes she thinks these races aren't for her and it might be time to hang it up. The truth is, however, that she was born to run these races and I hope she never quits. Ever.




No comments:

Post a Comment