Monday, September 5, 2011

The Starbucks Drive-Thru

Saturday's training run:  21 miles
Today's mileage:  6.2 miles
Mid-week totals:  7 miles
On the iPod:  "Otis" -- Kanye West and Jay Z


This weekend found slated one of two 20 milers scheduled in our training for Chicago, and it's pretty fair to say that I thought about it, with baited breath, the entire week.  While running any distance is pleasing to my soul, mileage over 18 is especially exciting.  It makes me happier than a bird with a french fry.  Happier than a tick on a bloodhound.  Happier than a baby with a kitchen floor full of tupperware.  Have you ever watched a baby play with tupperware?  They love it.  True story. 


Saturday's weather, when compared with the summer's wrath that we'd been experiencing as of late, was flat-out frigid.  In the low 60's and lacking any semblance of humidity, it was only a few degrees shy of perfect.  Leaving out around 6:00 a.m., the sky was shrouded in darkness and the air was calm.  Fayetteville was quiet and fresh, and it felt amazing.  Ideal.  Within the first half mile, on a particular stretch of flat terrain that runs alongside the lake, I closed my eyes and ran blind for what seemed like an eternity, even though it couldn't have been more than a few seconds.  Within those few seconds, however, I let go of any worries or fears that I had and allowed the morning to take control.  It had been an especially tough day at work on Friday, and I needed to clear my mind.  It was the start of what would turn out to be an outstanding run.  


As always, we started out fast and furious, but settled in for a manageable pace that was at the same time challenging but completely do-able.  Our modus operandi during training has been to go out together for the first three or four miles and then peel off from each other, but on this particular run we seemed to stay together a bit longer.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Mrs. Murie and I both know that she'll be ahead of me almost immediately in Chicago.  Because of this, i'm slowly updating my iPod playlist in anticipation of leaning on it  for the marathon.  This week I added some really good stuff by The Cold War Kids, One Republic, Matt Nathanson, Kanye West, The Zac Brown Band, Straight No Chaser, The Rave Ups, The Zombies, Usher, and The Band Perry.  


And while most of the aforementioned bands shuffled through at some point, "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry was particularly timely while running through a wooded section of downtown.  As soon as I heard the opening bars, emotions flowed.  I deliberately slowed my pace and savored the moment, thinking of my students at Bentonville High School as they have so graciously and lovingly grieved the loss of one of their own.  In fact, i've spent a good bit of time this weekend not only listening to The Band Perry, but thinking about BHS.  May God bless them all, each and every one, no exceptions.  I hope they know just exactly how much they mean to me and how grateful I am to be a teacher.  I learn as much from them as they do me, and my hope is they leave room 319 every day with with a better understanding of how to love one another.    


Mrs. Murie, with her above-averge mapping skills, created a most excellent turn-around for our morning run:  Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium.  On the opening weekend of football season, we found ourselves mixing with the most die-hard students camping out for their spot in the stadium and tailgaters cooking breakfast and gearing up for the big day.  Although unconfirmed, I'm fairly certain a few of them were already drinking beer.  It wouldn't be more than six hours later that I'd be right in the middle of the fray, with our own coolers full of beer and a full set-up overlooking the stadium.  This is our fourth season tailgating as a group and we've got the whole gig down to a science.  Mad props to my tailgating friends, they know who they are.  WPS!!!  





The run back was a solo event, with Mrs. Murie ahead of me the entire distance.  This was a good thing, as she and I both need to consider pacing as Chicago nears.  We were surprised to find our time for the entire run was just under four hours, especially when we realized that we'd actually gone 21 miles as opposed to 20.  Bless her heart, she full well knows that I can't be bothered to map a course in advance, so she does her best each week to come up with the needed mileage.  Anything above is considered a gift.  Like a tacky sweater from a great aunt that lives in Topeka.  That kind of gift.


Even though the temperature was considerably cooler, I was drenched in sweat nonetheless and abhorred the idea of sitting in my own nastiness.  Having a beach towel on hand, I stripped down naked right there in the parking lot (nobody was looking) and rode home with said beach towel wrapped around my waist.  Runners have done worse things before, so I gave myself a mulligan and went with it.  The problem came up when, about a mile into the drive home, I started craving an iced latte from Starbucks.  Not even thinking about what I was (and was not) wearing, the conversation went something like this:


Me:  "Let's go to Starbucks!"
Mrs. Murie:  "Ummm, that's great, but you're not wearing pants."
(long pause...)
Me:  "Damnit.  Good point."
(silence)
Me:  "Let's go through the drive-thru!"
Mrs. Murie:  "Ummm, that's great, but you're not wearing pants."
(short pause...)
Mrs. Murie:  "But I really want a mocha, so let's do it anyway!"


Five minutes later, uncontrollably laughing at our secret and grinning from ear to ear, we were in the drive-thru and I was still wrapped in a towel.  I'm fairly certain we made the baristas day, but I can only imagine she's seen worse.  Not only was the 21 miler a great way to spend a Saturday morning, but that was the best iced latte i've ever had.  


Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment