Sunday, February 17, 2013

the suitcase

weekend long run:  15 miles
today's recovery run:  3 miles
on the iPod:  "granny" -- the dave matthews band

I've long been a fan of NPR programming, particularly All Things Considered and This American Life.  Ira Glass is a genius storyteller and his weekly offerings captivate me.  Part of what is so fascinating is that the stories aren't his, but rather those of completely random people -- people who's lives offer a glimpse into our own.  That's the brilliance of it.  If I could somehow wave a magic wand and add a 25th hour to the day, i'd spend it listening to Ira.  Wait a minute, strike that.  I'd spend it sleeping. 

But fast becoming my favorite show on NPR is the TED Radio Hour.  The local station began airing it a few months ago in the Sunday Noon time slot, which coincides with my drive home from St. Paul's.  Lately i've found myself taking side roads and detours just so that I can hear the outcome of the broadcast.  TED is a great source for incredibly timely and unique perspective on just about any subject under the stars.  I often use it as a conversation piece in class and the students quickly become engaged in a dialogue they wouldn't consider otherwise.  That's the stuff of great education.

This afternoon the TED Radio Hour featured Susan Cain, a Wall Street attorney turned author, talking about introversion and extroversion.  The premise of her argument is that Western culture values extroverts and, ultimately, tends to stifle the positive attributes of introverts.  She told the story of being a young girl and going to summer camp for the first time.  In addition to clothes and the "toiletries list" that all campers brought, her mother packed an entire suitcase full of books for her to enjoy while there.  The sheer thought of having unobstructed time to read all those books was exhilarating for her.  Of course, when she got to camp and realized what it was all about, she knew immediately that reading books wasn't going to be in the cards.  Cain ended her talk discussing how important it is for introverts to be able to completely enjoy what's in their suitcase -- whether it's books, or a laptop, or cooking, or design, or flying, or whatever.  I was so very much enthralled with Cain's words and ideas that I immediately went home and listened to it again online.  And then I went running.

Introverts are often misunderstood, as are extroverts.  It's not so much about being a wallflower versus the life of the party, but rather how a person responds to different energies and where a person feels most authentic.  In this sense, I completely understand why running is so passionate for me:  I thrive as an individual when i'm able to think and reflect on who I am and where I fit in this great big world.  My solace and comfort comes when I can sit in a corner and watch the day unfold, occasionally dipping my feet in the water and making a ripple or two.  I hope those ripples are noticed and appreciated, but I'm cool if they simply fade into the expanse of what's going on around me.  I know they are there.

Distance running is perfectly suited for my introverted sensibilities.  I get to be part of amazing community of other people and friends, complete with our own events, traditions, language, and culture.  And I get to be a part of that community on my own terms, because when it's time to lace up and log some miles I can completely sink into my own thoughts and existence, which satisfies the urge I have to reflect and simply be.

Growing up, I found it difficult to understand exactly what I was supposed to be doing.  I was a pretty bland kid.  Happy, but bland.  I had average grades, average hobbies, average interests.  College was the same way.  Even my jobs after college seemed to be just going through the motions.  In fact, before I became a runner I can't think of one single thing that defined me as a person.  I think I was scared to try anything for fear of drawing attention to myself or failing.  Running changed all that.  In running i've found what's in my suitcase, and even though i'm an introvert living in an extroverted world, I can find a way to fit right in and leave my mark.  Ultimately, that's what I want to do.  I want to leave my mark.


   
The Little Rock Marathon is two weeks away and i'm so excited to be running it.  As i've opined before, Little Rock holds a special place in my heart for a number of reasons:  it's where I first ran a distance race, it's the capital city of my wonderful state, and it's close to where I grew up.  Our last long training run went well yesterday, and Mrs. Murie and I both agreed all that's left to do is sit back and hope for good weather.  In the interim, i'll try to get more sleep, eat lots of carbs and protein, and remind myself of all the great things in my suitcase -- running shoes, the Book of Common Prayer, a classroom full of great students, and the most amazing family and friends I could ever imagine.  What's in your suitcase?

Run.

2 comments:

  1. "It's not so much about being a wallflower versus the life of the party, but rather how a person responds to different energies and where a person feels most authentic." Yes and yes again.

    FYI, I downloaded Cain's book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking last week but haven't started it yet...now I'm really looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cain is all over the place right now, i've heard great things about the book. Methinks i'll get a copy.

      Delete