Sunday, September 22, 2013

reppin' in the lone star state

weekend mileage:  12.4 miles
on the iPod:  "safe and sound" -- capital cities

One of the most enjoyable parts of distance running are the weekend road trips to regional races that aren't more than a day's drive from my beloved hometown of Fayetteville.  It's a simple plan, really:  get registered a few months in advance, do laundry the night before, figure out how to leave work just a few minutes early, double check that running shoes are packed, grab a Route 44 Cherry Limeade and hit the road.  Aside from crossing finish lines, It might be one of the best feelings in the world.  Back in my college days, weekend road trips were all about going to see live music.  But my propensity for dancing until the wee hours in a beer-soaked crowd of thousands has waned over the years.  These days it's all about one thing:  running.  

Mrs. Murie, my best good running friend, has raved about the Tour De Fleur 20K in Dallas for years now, waxing nostalgic about it's super-fast course, the start and finish line located in the beautiful Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, the excellent crowd of runners, and it's killer post-race party on the great lawn with expansive views of White Rock Lake.  I can't count the number of times she's raved about this race, begging me make to make the trip with her to the Lone Star State to lace up and give it a go.  Because I trust her judgement, and mostly because it doesn't take much to convince me to go running, I put this one on my calendar back in April.  And it was such a great run that i've already put it on my calendar for next year.  

With a 7:00 a.m. start and being at the mercy of a bus system to get to the Arboretum, we arrived well before sunrise.  Even in the stillness and dark of morning, I was acutely aware of just how gorgeous the surroundings were.  We made our way through acres of landscapes that were manicured beyond belief, but still maintained a very organic feeling as if the varying trees, shrubs, and plants had been there for centuries.  As we followed other runners to the back of the property where the race would begin, the quiet of the morning was engulfing.  

The sun slowly emerged to reveal around 2,000 runners warming up, taking pictures, and drinking coffee.  We found the starting line on the banks of the lake and geared up for what would surely be a fun morning.  In the first mile I quickly realized that we were running the same portion of the trail that I had traversed in the Dallas Marathon last December, recognizing parks and neighborhoods along the course.  Aside from the 20K, there were plenty of runners out enjoying the morning and I couldn't help but think how enjoyable it would be to live in a city with such a large running culture.  

I had a great race, finishing right at two hours.  There were a few bridges that were wobbly under the weight of all the runners, which provided a sense of vertigo, but beyond that I felt really strong and in shape.  I think I might have even picked up my mid-mileage pace for about 20 minutes, which could be a bonus from essentially doing 13.1 miles of incline work last week in the Winslow Half Marathon.  Hopefully that will pay dividends on the streets of Manhattan this November.

The post race party lived up to it's billing and it was great to run in to a great friend, Jamie Dildy, who lives in Dallas and is a beast in running shoes.  Her number of finishes is impressive, only to be eclipsed by the times attached.  She had been on a 21 mile training run with friends and had bandited in to the party, which makes me smile.  We had warm chocolate chip cookies, yogurt, pizza, and Blue Moon beer, all while listening to a great 80's cover band.


The walk back to the bus through the gardens was just as nice as the run itself.  Meandering paths led to English gardens, water features tucked around corners,  species of trees that stood majestically in place, and bridges leading to more and more beautiful spaces.  It was enough to make me forget that my feet were tired and my calves were sore.  In the spirit of the season, some 25,000 pumpkins and gourds lined the walkways throughout the space, leading to a pumpkin patch that was like stepping into a fairy tail.  We spent a considerable amount of time watching children play and grandparents smile at the excitement and wonder they saw in their eyes.  It was a lighthearted and creative way to think about the fall season, and quite impressive to witness first-hand.  And, possibly to nobody's amazement, I left the garden craving Thanksgiving food, particularly pumpkin pie.  


Post-race got even better when, through a series of coincidences, I spent the afternoon watching the Arkansas Razorback football game with Chris and Jen Hottinger.  Our friendship goes back to the early 2000's when we all worked together.  They're going through an exciting time in life, which makes me incredibly happy for them.  We laughed and yelled at the television and caught up like good friends do, all the while surrounded by local Razorback fans who had rolled out to spend the day watching football.  While we don't see each other as often as I'd like, it was good for my soul and I hope they would say the same thing.  The Razorbacks couldn't pull it through in the fourth quarter, but I wouldn't give up the time spent with my friends for a win on any day.  I love them both dearly.

      
Marathon training, with it's four month schedule, is not for the faint hearted.  Having said that, anybody who gives it a shot can be successful, but the patience to settle in and allow plan to happen like it's supposed to is a must.  After two weeks of tapered mileage, I can feel myself ready for the final push toward New York City.  On the ride home Mrs. Murie and I talked about what we've got in front of us -- two 18 milers and a 20 miler.  Even thinking about those runs makes me excited and happy, but nothing will compare to running the full distance and finishing in Central Park on November 3rd.  Distance running is what makes me feel like myself, and that's something that took a long time to find.  And now that i've found it, I don't want to stop for anything.  

Run.     

No comments:

Post a Comment