Monday, December 16, 2013

kicks and grins

The circumstances that will cause me to not go out for a long run when the opportunity presents itself are few and far between.  I've just about done it all over the years:  total darkness, stifling heat, pouring rain, blistering wind, buckets of humidity, sleep deprivation, pricey registration fees, poor nutrition, sore knees, and blisters that resemble some alien life form being birthed from my heel.  There's simply not a lot that will make me call it quits.  Please understand that the aforementioned list doesn't make me different than anybody else, it just makes me a runner.

But the winter weather that besieged Northwest Arkansas in early December forced me out of my running shoes for 10 days straight, including the Dallas Half Marathon.  And as a final kick in the pants, the Fayetteville Half Marathon threw in the towel as well.  Citing icy trails as the culprit, they cancelled the race entirely, five days before the gun was scheduled to fire.  Thanks to social media, a swift and direct stream of backlash developed like the masses moving forward through a mega marathon corral, but instead of a starting line being the goal,  all of that energy was directed with a beeline at the race directors.  It wasn't pretty.  

All of the griping and whining had a happy ending, however, as the Fayetteville Half was ultimately rescheduled, but not before a band of renegades decided to throw their own half marathon gonzo-style.  No fees, registration, no chip times, no official anything.  Just show up for kicks and grins to do some running.  All it took was a quick Facebook post, word of mouth, and some local heroes to pick a course and the event pretty much planned itself.  Bam.

By the time I got word, I was pining to lace up and get out of the house.  I could tell that the lack of mileage was starting to have an effect on my soul.  That might sound contrite or even a bit hoaky, but it's the truth.  I dearly missed what I've grown to love so much and it was time to get back out, ice or no ice.  So there we were, some 50 or so strong, lined up on the trail system outside of Arsaga's waiting for somebody to "go!"


Starting at Arsaga's and heading north seemed like a no-brainer for an impromptu half marathon ran entirely on the trails, because there's plenty of distance for an out-and-back course, which is exactly what we did.  But it also meant starting with a killer incline that i've run more times than I can count.  As soon as we headed up and I felt my legs fight, I knew that that taking 10 days off was going to be an issue in terms of a fast pace.  It didn't matter, though, I could have been running dripping wet and carrying a bag of dog food and it would have been fine with me.  I just was so happy to be doing what I love to do.


 It became evident really quick why the Fayetteville Half Marathon decided to cancel/postpone, as the trail system was only in moderately dry shape, with patches of ice lurking like land mines for the entire course.  On top of that, black ice was even an issue in a few places, so I settled in for a slow run that erred toward caution as opposed to PR.  Within a few miles I was running solo and loving it.  I felt like an island, which has always been a familiar feeling to me, and one that I don't necessarily shy away from or try to change.  I'm comfortable living within my own thoughts and ideas, making my way through life the best way I know how.  Running shoes have made it all the more satisfying and compatible, and I was cherishing my time on a cold, quiet morning.


The final mile was brutal on my legs and I resorted to more of a shuffle than an actual run, but I reminded myself that it was simply a symptom of having laid up for 10 full days as opposed to an indictment on my ability to finish a race.  More than anything, though, it made me want to start training for a spring marathon and get back to a routine of weekend long runs.  I've narrowed the options down to a few cities, all of which i've run before, but fit well with work, easy travel, and open weekends.

The makeshift finish line consisted of folks standing around talking and having fun, yelling for each runner as they came in.  Per usual, I was toward the back of the pack, but made it in plenty of time for a cold can of Pabst Blue Ribbon.  I also got to catch up with an old high school buddy, Chris Lyle, who has finishing times that make me look pedestrian.  We had a good time watching the stragglers straggle in, hands in the air triumphantly, as they finished the impromptu half marathon, icy trails be damned.



The holidays are right around the corner and I'm really looking forward to spending time with the people I love and that love me.  I'm looking forward to "high church" services at St. Paul's, to reading and resting, to sleeping and eating.  And of course, running.  Lastly, I want to throw a shout-out to the guys that planned the impromptu half marathon, whom I don't now, but thoroughly appreciate. Know that you made this guy happy.  And also to the great people at Rush Running Company, for providing gu and hydration.  They're a great local running store where I always get my shoes and gear.  And to Podium Images as well, for shooting the event, including the four here, and offering them for free.

Run.       

No comments:

Post a Comment