Tuesday, July 15, 2014

holy candy

Marathons are available somewhere in the country pretty much every weekend of the year, but there are certainly more held in the spring and fall than any other time, due to the likelihood of getting favorable temps on race morning.  Ideally, a forecast will call for low to mid 50’s with partly cloudy skies.  Of course that doesn’t always work out, and most runners are going to lace up no matter what.  I fall into that category without fail, but definitely love summer running more than most people.  

But runners need to also take into consideration what weather conditions will be like during training, as opposed to only thinking about race morning.  My good friend Sarah Hood eschews fall marathons because she doesn’t want to train in the heat of July and August.  I’ve tried everything (encouragement, bribes, verbal shame, cheap beer, interpretive dance, tourism pamphlets, fibs) to get her to register for the Chicago Marathon over the years, but she’s not a fan of summer training.  And though it pains me to admit it, she’s got a point.  Summer running is a whole different animal that requires specific considerations to be successful.  This means getting up really early for long runs, braving extreme humidity, hydrating to the Nth degree, and collapsing on the couch for the rest of the weekend after anything over 17 miles.  Nonetheless, I’m drawn to the summer months and tend to amp up my mileage in direct correlation to the rise in mercury.

Every once in a while, the running gods smile down on Northwest Arkansas and bless the region with unseasonably cool temps, prompting the locals to experience an exodus from the air conditioned confines of their living rooms for an afternoon in the sun.  For me, it means a chance to run even more, even further, and at a faster pace.  And that’s exactly what I did this morning.  I knew that this week was going to be a break from the stifling heat and humidity, but I didn’t know exactly how refreshing it would be until I got to the Mud Creek trail.  The plan was to head north on the new portion that goes to Lake Fayetteville, which would have been six miles round trip, but somehow I found myself running south instead with no real goal in mind, but already thinking about the Farmer’s Market.  The only consideration was a lack of fuel, a rookie mistake to which I’ll sheepishly admit, because I hadn’t grabbed enough Gu on my way out the door.  Oops.

The weather was simply too nice, however, and I quickly ignored the potential issue, actually picking up the pace and deciding i’d figure it out later.  The Farmers Market couldn’t have been more picturesque when I got there, with vendors showcasing every fresh vegetable imaginable, including one of my favorites that isn’t available all summer: okra.  If I wouldn’t have had a seven mile trek back, I could have easily stayed, watching the morning unfold in the beautiful Ozark mountain town of Fayetteville.  Leaving the square, I ran by St. Paul’s to stop in and quickly enjoy a moment of tranquility and quiet in the open sanctuary.  While sitting in the empty nave, I remembered that the main office, particularly Mary Miller, keeps a jar of M+M’s on her desk.  I’ll be honest and admit that I’ve eaten more than one handful over the years.  But on this fine morning it would be the perfect amount of sugar to get me back.  

  
Lo and behold, Mary and Laura Wilkins were there and the holy candy jar was full.  Okay, i’m not exactly for sure if Father Lowell actually blesses the candy jar, but those were the best M+M’s i’ve ever eaten, and they were the perfect fuel to get me home.  The final miles were absolutely pristine, with crystal clear skies and a cool breeze blowing at my back.  Summer running continues to be my wheelhouse, and even though mornings like these are rare in July, i’ll make the most of them every single time.  

Run.

1 comment:

  1. Delightful blog, Greg.
    I'm a regular moocher of Mary's M&M's jar too.

    ReplyDelete