Sunday, December 16, 2012

YOU are a finisher

2012 Dallas Marathon official time:  5:23:38
on the iPod:  "the A team" -- ed sheeran

The New York City Marathon might have been cancelled, and with good reason, as families are still reeling from the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, but that didn't satiate my need to lace up and run 26.2 miles.  Yeah, plans had to change and last-minute decisions had to be made, expectations were thrown out the window and the cast of characters were different, but when it's all said and done a marathon is a marathon -- and I successfully completed my fourth with a smile on my face and my head in the clouds.  With about 10 yards left before crossing the finish line, I was already thinking about where the next race would be.  




Between the pressure of finishing up my first semester back in grad school, the frantic push of teaching, Thanksgiving break, and fighting a headcold all made November a whirlwind.  I got in two long runs to prepare for Dallas, but had no expectations whatsoever of doing well. And that's fine.  I've never put pressure on myself for speed in any distance race, but this one had a particular feel of going out for pure fun and love of the sport.  The week leading up to the race was a microcosm of just how busy I'd been:  tons of meetings at school, review sessions for an AP Psychology exam, a final paper due to my professor, and a pile of laundry that almost sprouted legs and walked to the washer.  But the moment we pulled out of the driveway, I left it all in NWA and got ready for a great weekend of running.  


Our downtown hotel was within walking distance of the expo, and runners seemed to be everywhere, ready to hit the streets of the Big D.  It felt like home.  I got to the expo really early hoping to see friends who were also running -- Coach Prock, Painful Patty, and Carole Swope.  I didn't see any of them, but I had a great conversation at the booth for the Little Rock Marathon, which will hopefully by my 5th marathon in just a few short months.  I might be partial because it's the flagship race of my beloved home state, or because it was my first distance race ever, but these folks are more fun than a frog in a glass of milk.  For real!  Geneva Hampton is the race director and she reminds me of the classic Southern woman.  I immediately accused her of wanting to punish runners with that infamous hill midway through the race.  Jokingly, I complained and pointed fingers and gnashed teeth and pouted, all the while Geneva was the consummate optimist, telling me that it was no big deal and that I could do it.  I was having no part of it and she was a good sport about it.

But ultimately she would have the last laugh, because when she found out that I lived in Fayetteville and was used to running really large inclines (which is true), she threw her hands up in the air and instantaneously and with no uncertain terms told me that she wouldn't hear another single word from me about the hills and to suck it up and get ready for the best race i've ever run.  She had me in stitches and was gracious enough to pose for a picture.  It was an endearing conversation and I reminded me how much I love Arkansas and the South.  But for the record, that incline up Kavanaugh scares the hell out of me!    



We met two great friends for dinner the night before the race, Dawn and Doreen.  Doreen has been a colleague of Todd's for years and lives in Addison, so she drove into the city and met us.  It was great to make a new friend and nice to watch she and Todd enjoy each other's company. Dawn and I go back to kindergarten, having been classmates at Trinity Episcopal and matriculating together all the way to Pine Bluff High School.  She was my prom date.  Absolutely gorgeous, her beauty is matched by a funny wit and energetic personality.  We had dinner and drinks last year before I ran the half marathon and it was a no-brainer to see her again.  We don't get to see each other often, but I love her dearly.  I had chicken and bowtie pasta for dinner and two glasses of pinot grigio.  Sitting on a great outdoor patio, the night was perfect for relaxing before the marathon.



Race morning went off without a hitch.  Being so close to the corral and having an 8:00 start, I didn't have to get up until 6:30.  I had coffee in the lobby with a husband and wife from Houston who were both running the full, and by the looks of their physical features, would finish well ahead of me.  They did.  I know this because they graciously asked how I did when I got back as they were sitting in the exact same spot, wearing street clothes with medals around their necks and drinking beer.  At any rate, they have a daughter who is a freshman at the University and they'll be coming to Fayetteville in April to run the Hogeye.  It seems like these random connections always happen in the running community.  It make me feel good.

Jumping in the corrals with a few minutes to spare, I was so incredibly excited to get started.  The morning felt fresh and clean, too warm in the 60's but really ideal for running nonetheless.  It was the first time that i'd ever been in a corral completely by myself, and I thought about my friend Mrs. Murie.  When the gun went off I was close enough to cross the starting line while the confetti cannons were still raining colored paper on the masses, which was another first.  I've got to admit that it was probably the coolest start i've ever experienced.  Riding high on adrenaline, the race was on and I was in my element.  I was doing what I was born to do.

While I can't say that there was ever huge amounts of crowd support, the course was outstanding.  Winding through downtown, crossing the Hunt Hill Bridge, running through Turtle Creek and Highland Park were all highlights of the early miles.  I found a steady pace and got lost in my iPod, but at the same time was acutely aware of the passing landscapes -- storefronts, public parks, stately mansions, families cheering.  It couldn't have been a better start.  



Crossing over Interstate 75 into Lakewood, however, was when things really got going.  Landing right around mile 9, Lakewood is a really hip neighborhood of bungalows and cottages that are a nod to a bygone era.  They're the type of home that i'd love to have and hopefully will one day.  The crowd support picked up quite a bit as friends threw miniature parties on their lawns, complete with lawn chairs, beer coolers, pitcher of mimosas, children playing football, and lots of really funny homemade signs.  Lakewood is also where another great friend from my childhood, Jamie, met me to run alongside and support me.

When Jamie found out that NYC got cancelled and that I was running Dallas instead, she volunteered on the sport to pace me around White Rock Lake.  I was excited to take her up on the offer, not only because she's crazy fast and a running machine, but also because she and I grew up together in the same neighborhood and I knew that it would be special to run with her.  And it was.  At the time she didn't know it, but when I was coming up the street in mile 13 and could see her in the distance waiting for me with her friends, I got emotional as they began to jump and cheer my name.  They had water and gel for me and were super nice and supportive.  Jamie was ready to go, so we got a picture really quick and hit the pavement.  


   
Running the lake was windy but really cool and fun.  Jamie and I laughed and talked about old times, remembering stories from growing up and catching up with each other's families.  We talked a lot about races as well, what we want to run in 2013 and races we've enjoyed over the years.  She was so so helpful with little things when the miles got tough -- holding a water bottle for me and grabbing gatorade from the aid stations, and she knew the course like the back of her hand, so it was a huge advantage to know what was coming up in terms of hills and mile markers.  But mostly she just ran along with me, two old friends doing what they love to do.  I appreciated it more than anything, and just had to keep running forward when it was time for her to say goodbye in mile 20.  There was no time to stop and hug, I had 6 miles to go and I was determined to do it.  

I'm starting to figure out that no matter what a runner does, no matter how the training goes, no matter how ideal the weather and course and morning may be, the 20's are going to be tough.  Really tough.  It's that simple.  But for whatever reason, maybe it's experience, maybe it was pace, maybe it was a god thing, the 20's in Dallas were more enjoyable than they've ever been. Please understand that there was still considerable pain involved, but those final miles found me in a really good place.  By far, they were the highlight of the entire marathon.

Intently focused on running forward through the course, I continued to pass by all the excitement of a major city marathon, but my mind was elsewhere.  It made the time seem to fly, but cognitively I had all the time in the world to think about why I love running so much, and here's why:  I've come to understand that finishing a marathon isn't about running.  Oh yes, clearly it's a footrace, but it's so much more than that.  At the very nature of running a marathon, when the corrals and aid stations and bibs and medals are all long forgotten, is a celebration of the human journey.  It's a physical testament of the experiences that we all face and, ultimately, conquer.  

It's the single mother that lovingly and selflessly raises her child, it's the friend that stands up against injustice when it's not the cool thing to do, it's the student who realizes a passion for art and literature, it's the neighbor who opens a door when the others are closed.  It's anyone who has ever experienced love in their own way.  It's you.

I crossed the finish line of the Dallas Marathon feeling great.  With about 20 yards left I spotted Todd in the middle of the crowd on the right hand side.  He was smiling and it felt really nice to see him there.  I hope that will happen again and I think it will.  With the holidays in full swingvthe plan is to take some time off from distances until 2013, when Mrs. Murie and I will begin training for the Little Rock Marathon in early March.  I'll try my best to keep my running shoes on the closet shelf, but i'm making no promises.  

I'm a marathon finisher.  So are you.

Run.



No comments:

Post a Comment