Sunday, December 2, 2012

a special guest star

weekend distance:  16 miles
on the ipod:  "make we joy now in this fest" -- king's college choir

With the beginning of Advent today, I can't think of a better time to focus on the true nature of human spirit, which is so eloquently represented in the birth of a child.  My little nephew Charles, whom I adore more than i'm able to communicate through words, reminded me of how important human spirit is this morning when I saw him at St. Paul's.  We're together a few times a week and he's almost always bouncing off the walls with energy, which isn't different on Sunday mornings, but when we're at church he's particularly affectionate -- his hugs coincide with yelling to anyone nearby "Uncle Gweg!!!"  This morning I noticed that he's growing up so fast while maintaining the innocence that make children so special.  I hope that lasts a while longer, but I know that he'll eventually grow up.  We all do.  

Aside from a long run, this weekend has been about rest, which is good leading up to the Dallas Marathon.  Time on the couch in a supine position has been at a premium.  I went to bed both nights around 9:00 with the intention of reading for an hour or so, but only lasted around 15 minutes before the light was dimmed and slumber commenced.  Waking up early on Saturday morning, around 6:00 a.m., I grabbed a long-sleeved running shirt and gloves for my final training run, only to walk outside and realize that the skies were overcast and the temperature was balmy 65 degrees.  This made me happier than a bird with a french fry, so I eschewed the long sleeves for a Nike finisher's shirt and dumped the gloves all together.  

The Starbucks running crew affirmed my decision as they trickled in from a 5:00 a.m. start covered in sweat and ready for coffee.  Rain or shine, those guys go out early year round.  A few of them are running Dallas next weekend as well, so i'll look for them in the corrals.  When the weather is pleasant I prefer to go out at 8:00 a.m. and start my morning with the riveting journalism that is the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.  Frankly, a late start also allows a chance for nature to work it's course on my bowels, which might be too much information.  I digress.

I've wavered all week on what mileage to hit for the last run before Dallas, because between NYC being cancelled and having a head cold, November was a jacked up month in terms of distance runs.  Normally the idea is to taper down to something under 14 for the final two weeks, but I didn't have that luxury, nor did I really want it.  I'm craving long distances, so ultimately I decided to ignore conventional wisdom and amp it up to some bigger numbers.  Eighteen did the trick last weekend, so 17 seemed very doable but still challenging.  And it was.  

Mile 10 marked the turnaround back to Starbucks and included an appearance by a special guest runner, none other than my best good running friend Mrs. Murie!  She's been doing lots of things other than running since New York -- school work, traveling with James, and generally being a cool person -- so we hadn't run together since an impromptu 8-miler in Central Park almost a month ago.  It was a treat to be back on the trails with her, and she graciously held back on pace so that we could catch up and talk about what we both love so much.  She gave me some advice about Dallas, which she's run before, and we even talked up about races for Spring 2013.  Go figure.  Some are nearby, some not so much, and we'll try to make final decisions soon after the new year begins.  I'm already excited to think about it. 

     
Dallas will be the last race on my calendar for some time to come, and even though i've said it a million times, i'm so thankful to be able to run.  I can honestly say that more than anything else i've ever experienced, it has changed my life for the better.  But it will be great to step back from running in the final weeks of 2012 and enjoy the Advent season.  I love the decorations and music, the shopping and parties, the food and drinks.  But mostly I love the time with friends and family, as we celebrate a new beginning that comes wrapped in a blanket and sleeping so sweetly.  That's not to say that I won't sneak in a run here and there, because I will.  I won't be able to not run.  But my focus will change from mileage to gratitude.  From training to revelry.  From finish lines to family.

Run.      

No comments:

Post a Comment