Sunday, July 7, 2013

the mailbox, monkeys, and turning six

weekend distance:  13.2 miles
on the iPod:  "supersonic" -- oasis

I love getting mail.  Like real mail.  Text messages, retweets, and Facebook "likes" are all really good and have their place in this world, but nothing beats actual mail that shows up in the actual mailbox.  While I don't get very much actual mail, I can count on a few good pieces  showing up -- race flyers, party invitations, Runner's World magazine, thank-you notes, and various/sundry other pieces.  This week's bounty was especially pleasing because my good running friend Kim mailed me an official training plan that she'd put together for the two of us, who will both be running the New York City Marathon in early November.  She's run with me long enough to know that if she doesn't put a plan together, then I'll simply "wing it" and be happy with whatever happens.  Even the most laid-back marathoner, like myself, must admit that "winging it" won't quite do the trick for 26.2 miles.  There's a little bit more to it than that.  I digress.

Independence Day found a couple hundred runners at Lake Fayetteville for the annual Run For Vets event that raises money for veteran's programs at Seven Hills Homeless Shelter.  I can't think of a better way to honor the United States than to run a great event like this, and consider it a staple on my yearly calendar.  The weather stayed relatively cool for the middle of the summer, and by the third mile of the race I was feeling the effects of keeping up with my great friend Jamie Huneycutt, who was coming off her 102nd marathon finish just a few weeks earlier in Alaska.  Yeah, that's right, she's run 100+ marathons.  Wow.  Not far behind us (and a few ahead of us) were all the usual suspects -- Patty Pain, Fred Spies, Deanna Duplanti, Carson Rankin, Anya Bruin, and most of the Starbucks Java running crew.  It was such a great morning, and we had a grand old time after the race, and not only did Jamie win her age division, but she also won a gift certificate to Mellow Mushroom, which I coveted when she wasn't looking.  




In my laid-back, wing-it sort of mind I thought that marathon training for NYC should have started this weekend, but math was never my strongsuit, and I soon realized after perusing Kim's schedule that we'll actually "officially" start training next weekend.  Nevertheless, I wanted to get in a long run anyway so Saturday morning found me laced up bright and early and drinking coffee while reading the morning's paper.  While I won't argue that the state newspaper is ever chock full of riveting journalism, I do enjoy reading it every morning and have done so for many years.  I had to chuckle when the leading story was about a monkey riding a border collie at the rodeo.  Only in Arkansas...


Things could only go up from there and that's exactly what happened, as I went out solo for a gorgeous morning run through the trail system, which was teeming with runners, walkers, and bikes.  Early on I ran a stretch with a really cool friend, Alison, who is a beast in running shoes.  She's training to run Leadville next month, which is an epic 100 miler that's only for the most passionate and extremely talented athletes.  While she and I are in totally different leagues in terms of pace, i've known her for years and always enjoy visiting with her.  She's Fayetteville funky, and that's a good thing to be.  I wish her the best of luck out in Colorado next month.  

Continuing on toward downtown, I didn't have a distance in mind, which sometimes is the best way to run.  There's something to be said for simply going out and following the bliss of the morning and allowing fate to decide what is next.  Hitting Dickson street with the morning sun still low in the sky, I turned left off the trail and made my way to the square, which was in full swing with the Farmer's Market.  What a truly unique experience it is to have such a vibrant and fun event right here in my own backyard -- the Fayetteville Farmer's Market is outstanding.  Great vegetables, visual arts, flowers, live music, and tons of families all converge for a morning of celebration and community.  It was a great turn-around point for a run that was equally as special. 

As great as running has been this week, nothing has been more special than my nephew Charles celebrating his 6th birthday today.  I got to eat breakfast with him at St. Paul's before church, then spend time with him at his house before going to his swimming pool birthday party.  It was really sweet to watch him interact and play with his little friends from school and the neighborhood, and I couldn't help but realize just how much I love him.


From the moment that my sister brought him home when he was seven days old and he joined our family in 2007, I knew that life was more than work and things and schedules and races.  I knew that life was about relationships with the people that we love and making sure they know how much they mean to us.  I love this little guy with all my heart and can't wait to watch him continue to grow into an amazing young man.  Maybe he'll be a runner, maybe not.  But however he turns out, i'll be his biggest fan and his with him every step of the way.  

Run.    

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Can't wait 'til I'm back out on the trails with you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday, I will adopt your "wing it" attitude toward running and learn to relax. It seems to serve you well. :)

    ReplyDelete